Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tomatoes Coming Out of Your Ears?

If you are like me then you have grown your own tomatoes this year, but, I also have family and neighbors giving me their extras because I always took them years before (when I wasn't growing my own). So now I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I've gotten several canned and as sauces, etc. But still I have more, and I need a little something different...what about you?


The one option I heard that sounds feasible (as it shrinks the tomatoes, resulting in them taking up less storage space) is dehydrating. But then I began to wonder, what would I used dried tomatoes for?

In talking to some friends and coworkers I found a list of great ideas.
 
Apparently, there are quite a lot of things to used dried tomatoes for (I'm talking recipe wise). Here are a few ideas to get you started:
  • In a salad.
  • Mixed into pasta dishes
  • chopped or minced and mixed with eggs or other breakfast dishes
  • In soups.
  • Stir fried in your favorite Asian dish
  • Used in a sun-dried tomato hummus recipe
  • Used in bruschettas (a drier version of bruschetta anyway)
  • In sandwiches
  • In various "wet" salads, such as potato, chicken, macaroni
The more I've read about using dried tomatoes, the more I've realized that what I thought was going to be a difficult food to find a use for is actually a food that has endless uses. I will definitely be getting out my food dehydrator and taking care of my tomato surplus!!!



Need planting help? Visit Tomato Companion Planting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...